Friday, March 19, 2010

Cinema Classics? How About You Let Me Decide


For someone that is supposed to know a lot about movies, I realized that I have a terrible taste in them. I think Weekend at Bernie's is one of the greatest movies ever, and would watch it a hundred times over before sitting through The Gold Rush again.

I'm not an idiot though, and I know how important some of these older "classics" are to filmmaking history and the evolution of genres, but that doesn't mean I have to sit through them now and enjoy them because I'm supposed to.

I don't hate all old movies, actually I really love a lot of them. I just don't understand the unconditional love some people have for these flicks, especially if the only justification you can give for liking it is "Well you're supposed to, it's a classic."

If you like a certain movie great, but if you say you like it just because you know you're supposed to, why bother talking about movies at all? You clearly don't have any opinions of your own. When you have the balls to actually express yourself, then we can talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment