Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Good Luck Jay


This is probably going to date me horribly, but ever since I first saw him on Popular Mechanics for Kids I've been a big fan of Jay Baruchel. He was the funny foil to Elisha Cuthbert's amazing hotness, and I usually found him the more informative of the pair (I was always younger than her so it's not creepy. Well, it might be but I'm fairly certain it's not illegal or anything).

I was even one of those rare individuals that watched Undeclared as it came on television, even though I had never even heard of Freaks and Geeks at the time. The kid has always been a fantastic second-fiddle with great delivery, and even though his sitcom didn't do well, he looks as though he's getting another couple shots at leading glory. The problem is all of his upcoming movies look outright terrible and will probably kill his career.

It's pretty hard to avoid all of the advertising around She's Out of My League, but also coming out soon are The Trotsky and The Sorcerer's Apprentice. If you have a couple minutes to kill I recommend finding the trailers, if only to witness many terrible Hollywood mistakes likes to roll into a glorious mess.

The concept for The Trotsky is incredibly narrow and one that will certainly have no mainstream appeal. The Sorcerer's Apprentice looks like it could have been a neat kid's movie, apparently that Percy Jackson stuff is doing okay, but Nicolas Cage has a way of delivering when it comes to copious amounts of terrible. The one with all the advertising, She's Out of My League, doesn't look too bad. Actually several of the trailer lines gave me a chuckle. My fear is that this seems like one of those concepts that is difficult to stretch into a whole movie without giving us things we've seen a million times before.

I like Jay Baruchel, and I really want these movies to do well since I want to see him in more, but this is definitely a make or break year for him. If all three of these movies only get a mediocre reception, I'll have to wait another five years until they give him a shot again. This is just Clive Owen all over again, the man has had some great performances in awesome flicks, but that one year he put out three or four loads of crap and we've barely seen him since.

No comments:

Post a Comment