Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Where are the Women of Late Night?



As a general rule I don't like most reality shows. I'm a pretty busy dude and if I have enough time to sit down and watch something, I'd never opt for seeing the home life of some washed-up celebrity clinging to fame. But hey, that's just me.

Now, if the show followed around a miss Scarlett Johansson or Amanda Bynes, that's another story. Maybe a whole show is too much, I mean how often can I watch Scarlett buy chest wax for Ryan Reynolds? Maybe a talk show would be good, when was the last time there was a female late night talk show host?

If you think about it, the daytime television market is dominated by female hosts, where are their late night counterparts? It would have to be someone intelligent, and just as quick witted as their guests. Scarlett could probably do a decent job, you don't marry someone like Ryan Reynolds without being able to carry conversation with a funny celebrity. Natalie Portman could probably hold her own too.

One could make the argument that there aren't as many female comedians, but there are lots if people are willing to look deep enough. I listen to quite a few podcasts and although the female guests are rare, they're usually really great. I think it's time we got a female late night host, someone with a real personality about them. Hell, Arsenio Hall had his own show, can't be that hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment