Monday, March 29, 2010

That's Not Robin Hood, Where's The Tights?


Where the hell was I when Russell Crowe became such a major draw? Gladiator was a decent flick, but I can think of tons of actors that deserve more recognition. Guy Pearce is one, Clive Owen used to be one before he lost the ability to say no to terrible scripts, and Ed Harris is one. Sure, he gets paid some dues once in a while, but not nearly enough.

Many of my friends are outright shocked that I'm not excited about the new Robin Hood movie. Why should I be? Where are all these masses screaming for Robin Hood to get the Batman Begins treatment, (Gritty+Realism=Good). What aspect of Robin Hood lore can really benefit from the limitations of reality and physics?

I've probably touched on this in other posts, but this Hollywood trend to play everything straight is not the answer for every single reboot, especially for such an over-the-top character like Robin Hood. What's next, a remake of Rocky Horror played straight as a sci-fi epic?

So why am I not pumped for Robin Hood? To me this doesn't look like Robin Hood, it looks like "British Archer: The Movie". Also, Russell Crowe has never managed to impress me. I know he's got Oscars and stuff, but I've given him enough chances. Fuck Russell Crowe.

No comments:

Post a Comment