Saturday, April 24, 2010

Red Pandas: So Cute They're Badass

Animal News Saturday


Stumbling my way through the Internet I discovered this site here, which informed me about the existence of red pandas. They're from the Himalayas, and cute as hell. Even though they're called pandas, they're not bears. Actually, they look like a fox and a raccoon had a hilarious baby, but they're related to neither of those either.

As it turns out, "they are considered 'living fossils', which means they’re more closely related to animals found in fossils than any living species". I did go to University, so I'm pretty sure that means they're either dinosaurs or pokemon, which is neat.

I'm sure I could learn more about these things from a library, or at least Wikipedia, but I'm afraid it might tarnish my current image of them. I refuse to learn anything else about these little guys, especially because nothing will be more interesting than this: "The people native to the red panda’s region call them 'Wha' after the sound they make". Seriously, how awesome is it that the cutest animal ever, which happens to be some ancient creature, makes that noise? 80% awesome.

Normally I'm not one for cute animals, but these are the coolest things ever. Well, they might be more badass if it turned out they were viscous carnivores or something, but anything this cute couldn't possibly be threatening. Except for potentially having rabies or dancing panda syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment